Thursday, April 30, 2009

My experience with Twitter

My experience with Twitter has been a good one. Twitter, in my own words, is a real-time online "email" or "blog" that is used to communicate with others. In order to be able to use Twitter effectively, you should try to "follow" people that post Twits about the subject or area of teaching that you are interested in. "Following" someone on Twitter is the equivalent of becoming a "friend" to someone on MySpace or FaceBook.
I had never heard of Twitter until just a few days before we were to open our own account in class. I opened my account with Twitter just 3 days before it was assigned in class, therefore I pretty much learned about Twitter with others in my class. My father works for a company based out of Boston that is all about getting people interested and involved in the internet, and all the processes that go along with it. He was able to tell me a little bit about Twitter. The best way to learn about something is to just do it yourself. I searched for people through Twitter, and was able to find a couple of friends to follow. I think that since Twitter is pretty new to people, not many people are using it yet. If I were to search for those same friends again in about 3 months, I bet they would all have a Twitter account. Twitter is becoming more and more popular.
Twitter has been useful in communicating with other classmates in this computer class, and I feel it will be a wise idea for me to have a Twitter account set up for my class when I begin to teach. I would be able to communicate in real-time with parents and also students. I could use it for posting homework, extra assignments, ammendments to assignments, upcoming events reminders, and for communicating with students if they have a question about homework and such. It will be a very useful tool in the classroom.
I have used my Twitter account several times, yet I'm sure not enough. I have posted twits several times, and I have also communicated with other students one-on-one several times about upcoming classes, and for help with assignments. I think I will continue to use Twitter as a tool for helping me to learn more and more about technology and its uses, and for keeping me up-to-date with the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment